Often times we have a need to export term sets and the terms (and their children) from our Taxonomy Term Store of the Managed Metadata Service, after defining them in an environment. We often need to get the GUIDs of the terms / term sets, in addition to their display name. This becomes essential because, Share Point defines a new GUID for every term / term set when you create them through UI or even when you create them through Power Shell without explicitly specifying the GUIDs for the terms or the term sets.You might find a lot of tools out there (even in Code Plex), which already do this, in a sophisticated way, with much more details. But unfortunately, most of them need to be run from the server. In many cases, we may have to extract this information from certain environments, to which we may not have access and not necessarily from Development environment, all the time. Moreover, it would be really nice, if we can maintain the hierarchy while exporting and export it as an XML file, so that it can be converted to any desired format (say, Excel). The exported data can then be used to recreate the taxonomy terms in any other environment, which will ensure that all environments will have the same GUIDs for the terms / term sets. Though there are many tools out there, all of them are server based. They need to be run from within the Share Point Server. Many times, this may not be possible. This arises the need to have a client based solution, which can extract and export this information. This tool exactly addresses these issues. The following are the prerequisites.
1. Please ensure the managed metadata service is running and a term store is created and term sets and terms are properly defined.
2. Please ensure the site has taxonomy site columns connected to the term store, from where you want to export the information.
3. The app should be installed only on sites which satisfy condition 1 above. Otherwise, it will show a message to the answer.
4. Please ensure, the user has write access on the host web, since it creates a file in the Site Assets library.
5. Please ensure the Host Web has a Site Assets library.
6. Please ensure the taxonomy site columns are grouped together into a single group, so that the term sets and terms are exported into a single xml file with proper hierarchy.
7. This app relies on the Taxonomy columns (of type Managed Metadata) at the site level. So, it will export only those term sets which are connected to the site columns. If you want all the term sets within a particular term group (in a term store) to be exported, please ensure the taxonomy site columns are connected to all the term sets in that term group.
Note: This app is not compatible with Internet Explorer 8